yellow and/or golden delicious apple

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by papabear294, Oct 19, 2010.

1. papabear294

papabear294 Member

I was wondering about if the yellow delicious and the golden delicious apple trees are the same. Is this a marketing thing or is there two different trees? Thanks!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Likely the same thing, though with over 7500 different cultivars of apples, it is hard to say with complete certainty. I notice one grower sells both and the apples seem to be different in appearance from the photographs provided.

However, I'd be more inclined to believe the write-up about the two names from Native Seeds/SEARCH (scroll down to 'Golden Delicious')

(though I don't believe concepts such as plant patents existed in the days of when the thefts apparently occurred)

3. Spliced6

Spliced6 Member

Same apple. Golden Delicious is the tree the Stark Brothers bought and Yellow Delicious was propogated from cuttings that were snitched off that tree in the dead of night. Calling them Yellow Delicious was a weak attempt to hide the transgression.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

so what about Lodi? :)

5. Spliced6

Spliced6 Member

I don't quite understand what it is you're asking. According to the research I've done, Lodi apple was raised from the pips of a Yellow Transparent apple, the flowers of which had been pollinated with Montgomery at the Geneva research station and introduced in 1924. It is also called Early Golden. Hope this answers your question.