Xmas Cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Tootsey, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Tootsey

Tootsey Member

When my best friend passed away last year, after some months I was given her Xmas Cactus plant. I had seen this plant growing in her home for at least four to five years and saw how beautifully it blossomed. I was amazed to see that this huge plant was sitting in a very small pot--about a 3 inch pot. It has again blossomed and is about finished and I am wondering whether it should be transplanted and what is the best care for it. It is a lovely thriving plant but I am afraid I am noticing some of the older leaves beginning to become a lighter green. I want to save it. What should I do??

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

Can you post a pic? Keep in mind that Christmas Cactus like to be a bit root bound. It might be time to move it up into a slightly bigger pot, like a 4 inch.

3. Tootsey

Tootsey Member

Thank you Jan for your early reply. I do not have a camera, but when my daughter comes over I will have her take a pic and will send it along--if I can figure out how to attach a pic to this message.

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Light green leaves could mean your plant is in more lower light then it was getting before you had it, or simply new growth that will darken in time.

5. Charles Lade

Charles Lade New Member

I would transplant it to a 6 inch clay. I know it will be a bit over potted, but the Christmas Cactus is an odd ball. It's considered a tropical succulent, lol whatever that is. But you need good drainage like a succulent but water and nutrients like a tropical. I'm sure it's yellowing because it very rootbound. Remove the plant from the container, and use a sterile knife to cut away the roots that are going round and round. (It's a lot like removing a wet sock) You can try to save some of the larger roots if you can straighten them out of the root ball, but don't worry the plant will vigorously put out new roots. Get it to the point where you can ruffle the outside of the rootball with you fingers, and don't be afraid to dig your fingers in some to loosen it up.( sounds harsh but you're saving it's life, especially since the woody roots will continue round and round choking the plant) Then repot, I would use 1 part quality potting mix, and mix in a half part coarse sand(get it in the building supplies section) and half part perlite. Rmoving some of the foliage can help take some pressure off the recovering roots. I know this is an old post but hopefully someone finds it useful. I see tons of these around Christmas time, and many don't realize this plant takes a little specialized care.