Xeriscaping In Zone 6

Discussion in 'Gardening for Water Conservation' started by greenthumb95, Oct 13, 2008.

1. greenthumb95

greenthumb95 Active Member

Hi! Xeriscaping sounds really interesting. But i live in the northern edge of zone 6. Can i this far north? Please respond soon!

2. jimhardy

jimhardy Member

heck yea!with good drainage and some basic protection

3. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

What kind of climate do you have? I think you can xeriscape anywhere. I'm in 6B and I'm very interested in it. We have irrigation ditches (diverted from the river) and I am careful with what water I use and have planted more drought-tolerant plants when I put them in. I'm in a desert.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you can xeroscape anywhere!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping

all you need to do is some research on what is native/hardy to your area and heat zone and then plant accordingly.

the only time i water my beds is when i've just planted something and it needs to get established and when it's a drought...and even then, i only do watering when things are really showing stress. about half of what i have are native to this area. anything that's not native is firmly hardy in my zone - 6b. i look for things that have a hardiness range of 4 to 8, so, i'm sure that my zone 6 will definitely work for them.