x.cupressocyparis leylandii (Leyland Cypress)

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by hugoBergeron, Nov 1, 2010.

1. hugoBergeron

hugoBergeron Member

Hello Everyone!
    I am looking for a Canadian Nursery/Seed Company that would sell those online?

Or some friendly forum member that do that cross and would sell me some seeds, as from what I read, the hybrid is steril.

Thank you :)

Hugo

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Leyland Cypress won't be hardy in Montréal. That'll be why you aren't finding suppliers locally.

You could try Nootka Cypress (Cupressus nootkatensis), or Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis), if you want reasonably similar plants.

3. hugoBergeron

hugoBergeron Member

Thank you michael. I read somewhere that they would be hardy down to zone 5. But no one site has the same zone range :(

Will try something else, thanks!
    hugo

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Marginal in zone 6, hardy in zone 7. Worth remembering that while one parent (Cupressus nootkatensis) is zone 5-6 hardy, the other (Cupressus macrocarpa) is only zone 9 hardy, so no surprise that Leyland Cypress is not so very hardy.

Likely that Cupressus × notabilis (Cupressus nootkatensis × Cupressus glabra) will be hardier than Leyland, but whether enough hardier for you to grow, I'm not sure. It is a fairly new hybrid and hasn't been tested much yet.

5. hugoBergeron

hugoBergeron Member

That is valuable info, thanks Michael.

hugo