Identification: Wrong nametags :{

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Chungii V, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Hey all,
    Two plants I'm trying to get right names for:
    1 I got this as Neoregelia Gee Whiz (straight from seller no accidental tag swap :{ ), I know it's wrong and think it may be an Aechmea callichroma, the flower seems a bit compact but it's in a lot of sun. The plant is about knee high with the flower above that.
    2 This was bought (again from a grower) labeled as Heliconia collinsiana but now it's finally flowering I think it may be Heliconia chartacea though not sure. The plant is at least 10 foot tall probably more, the bottom of the flower is at eye level to me and I'm 6 foot. The two I mentioned appear very similar but the flower is more like that of H. chartacea (if I have to add a photo in a couple of days when the flower has opened more I can do so.)

As always, thanks for any help...

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Okay I'm going to answer myself here, from a little further, further investigation I figure H collinsiana to be correct. The flowers that are shielded from view here are now forming and are yellow. This should mean it is correctly named, as H chartacea has green flowers, unless someone can advise me otherwise I shall keep it labeled as H. collinsiana.
    As for the brom ... still working that one out.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd go with Aechma on the brom as well, not too sure on the exact species - the flowering spike looks a little stunted but from what you said it's in full sun so that is probably quite normal. You should think about moving the pups to bright shade, though - in my experience, full sun will also mean that the blooms don't develop their full colour possibilities (unlike Neoregalias, which actually get more vibrant in full sun.) Aechmas in the wild here grow closer to the canopy floor.

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Thanks for the info, helpful as always:}