worrisome issues with JM Kamagata and Beni Shichihenge

Discussion in 'Maples' started by brierphoto, Sep 9, 2010.

1. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

Hi there,

I am noticing some troubling things with these two potted maples. I have had them both for about 3 months (purchased from the same nursery) and have re-potted them both into larger terra-cotta.

My kamagata is exhibiting some leaf browning at the tips that I thought was related to the heat/sun, but the entire leaf is getting yellow spots.. :(

[​IMG]
    001 by brierphoto, on Flickr

My Shichihenge has something that appears completely different- tar spot, perhaps? Dark brown spots/streaking on the leaf.
    [​IMG]
    060 by brierphoto, on Flickr

I've treated all my maples twice with Serenade. http://www.hydroponics.net/i/101023 But, neither tree seemed to respond.. I have a 1 year guarantee on these trees... thoughts?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly one or both would prove to have mites if examined closely enough.

3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

If you have just had them 3 months and it being Sept. I wouldn't worry in the least. Every maple I have in pots and especially the ones I have gotten this year are showing "scruffy" looking leaves. Look at the buds on the stems. Do they look plump and healthy? If they do, then don't worry about it (IMHO) they will look better next year. Being transplanted means there is going to be some adjustment to new conditions.
    Kay

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you have re-potted into much larger pots you may well now be overwatering, as the root system has not yet moved out into the extra soil to use up the moisture