Worm casings as fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Gardenlover, May 17, 2008.

1. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

I saw a bag of worm casings at a local nursery. It was quite expensive for a 1kg bag.
    Is this worth it...is it effective for vegetable growth?
    What if you purchase black soil that has worms in it from a worm storage...is it not the same?

2. Davidgriffiths

Davidgriffiths Active Member

I got about 25 KG of free work casings this year from my composter - every shovelfull had hunded of worms, breaking down the food and leaving their casings behind. I still have about 10 kilos left that I am going to dress the lawn with.

I have no idea how effective it is, but it's supposed to be the best form of compost...

3. natnkat

natnkat Member

Hi there,
    I would assume both options are the same. I've also heard that worm castings are great for plants, so what I did is started a small vermicompost bin. I just set the worms up last year, fed them fairly regularly during winter (once a week maybe?), and this spring I had a bin full of castings to mix with my potting soil! Plus it had all the goodies from eggshells, extra bits of this and that from the kitchen scraps. I can't say scientifically that they're super good for the plants, but it does seem so, and I would recommend doing a worm bin (a one time cost) that gives lots of castings over buying a bag....but if you want castings now, maybe you could find someone in your area who does vermicomposting and get some from them cheaper?

Good luck and God bless!