Identification: Wondering what this plant is...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mahna, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mahna

Mahna Member

I'm new to the forum and to the world of indoor planting. I'm hoping I have inherited my grandmothers success in planting, and not my mother's killing genes... I'm starting with aloe, wandering jew, christmas cactus, a small herb garden, and a spider plant I grew from a seed in 4th grade (I'm done with college now).

I bought this plant at a small plant sale where all the money went to charity, and everything was unlabeled. Even at the sale they couldn't tell me what it was, but I loved it so much that I bought it anyway. I've put a couple of pictures on the bottom of this post, but here is a short description.

Currently 2+ feet tall, the leaves are over 1 foot long once full grown. The top of the leaves are green with pale green spots and the underside of the leave are a deep orange color. Its growing on one tall stem right now. Where each leave comes out of the stem, there is a small not very sharp green spike.

I let someone water the plant for me for a week while I was away, and it stopped growing straight up. It appeared to grow towards the window where the woman left it. I was wondering if it will go back to growing straight up on its own, or if I should use a post. Also would like to know if there is anyway to encourage growth outwards and not just straight up.

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like an Angel Wing Begonia in need of more light.
    Try opening the blinds, then turn the plant so it's tip is as far
    from the window as possible. If it's going to straighten up
    that should help. Otherwise you'll have to stake it upright.

HTH
    Chris

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i agree with angel wing begonia. although i've not grown those, i'm sure chris is correct with the lighting advise.

you might want to put it in a bigger pot, too.

4. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Yep, an Angel Wing Begonia. Give it lots of bright light, avoid direct sun as this may fade the leaf color. You can pinch the top out of it to encourage it to develop side shoots. Try turning it as Chris has suggested but in order to get it fully upright, you'll probably have to stake it.