Wollemia nobilis...any news on timeline for U.S. sales?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by markinwestmich, Jul 24, 2006.

1. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Do your faithful UBC forum participants (that would be us) get to put their names on a waiting list Daniel?

WCG

2. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Spectacular, Daniel...can you show a pic of where it'll be planted? Likely a very prominent spot.

Now that it's available worldwide (well, sort of...) will UBC BG dispense with the requisite security cage?

Wonderful that you've chosen your loyal forum members for this preview. Thank you.

3. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Naturally, you'll replicate that label info onto a substantial plaque...
    Planting day will be momentous in UBC BG's history!

When viewing pics of this magnificent plant, I always am utterly struck with awe at this plant's span through time.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

. . . though it is rather less deserving of it than Ginkgo, or Sciadopitys.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

News on the topic of making some available will have to wait for the press release, I think...

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No cage, from what I understand. I _think_ it is going to be planted in a spot that isn't very well-developed yet, as one of the first plants for a planned Southern Hemisphere garden - that may change, though.

7. kia796

kia796 Active Member

A Southern Hemisphere garden...what a wonderful idea. Lots of cycads in the works, I bet. And a Pachypodium lamerei from Madagascar...(far enough S?)

And Michael--I do have a ginkgo--and wish the deer would stop eating all the leaves off every summer. I'll look up the Sciadopitys. So you're not particularly impressed with the Wollemia nobilis?

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a nice tree, with a very interesting growth habit. I'm not particularly impressed with all the publicity hype about it, though; most of it is fanciful nonsense!

9. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

An approximately 1' tall specimen of a Wollemia nobilis was given away as a door prize at a tree seminar at the Los Angeles Arboretum this month. Sales can't be far behind.

10. Ingrid Hoff

Ingrid Hoff Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  11. carbluesnake

carbluesnake Active Member

Now, I'm jealous. You guys get the good Wollemi's. One foot! All I have is a lousy 8" Wollemi. I'm going out and pour gasoline on it. Hooray for the Maple leaf.

12. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Ingrid, that's so exciting...hmm, AUCTION. Lots of $$$$$$$$, but goes to a good cause (UBC BG).

By the way, I think the link is broken.

13. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Carblusnake
    All I have is a lousy 8" Wollemi.
    I'd take it in a heartbeat...can you borrow a friend's digital camera to post a pic here?

14. carbluesnake

I have a digital camera, and I know I can post a pic on the post. However, I am busy on some other things. I can't believe I am going to say I am too busy to learn how to post a pic, but I am. If I wasn't so talented, I wouldn't be in demand. I do want to let you know that I set my Wollemi out in the ground from the pot. I'm hoping it won't pout over the wide swings in temps that we have had (from 22 to 80 degrees). I mulched it with about 2" of fine chipped pine bark aged 11 months. Do you think I did it right?

15. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Wow...did you ease it into outdoor temps by having it outside during nice weather, and then back in when it became colder? Plants should be acclimatized before being set out permanently.

But this plant is supposedly very resilient, so keep your fingers crossed. Of the zillions of Wollemi images I've seen (Google, Images, Wollemi...and you'll be up all night!), many were sheltered from the sun.

You'll love your digital...image hosting accounts are free at Flickr.com.
    It's fast and easy, and won't fill up your computer space. Can't wait to see a pic of it.

16. carbluesnake

I did have it outdoors except when temps dropped below freezing. The place I planted it gets direct sun from 10 a.m. til 1 p.m. The rest is filtered light. I have several japanese maples in the same sun exposure, so I feel comfortable about it. We will see whether or not it is a good place.

17. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Sounds perfect...bet it'll be a foot tall with spring rains! Those japanese maples will be a nice background to your digital photo (...ahem).

18. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Wonder if thread TITLE should now be changed to CANADA sales???...

Wollemi Society newsletter received today, some interesting points about it being Waterwise:
    http://www.wollemipine.com/watch/issue_14.php#story1

Nowhere in the newsletter do they mention any of the recent difficulties shipping to Canadian purchasers. Maybe if they ignore it, the problem will go away...odd marketing plan, I think.

19. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Not to sound impatient...was UBC Botanical Garden going to issue a Press Release re availability?

20. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, sometime soon...

21. carbluesnake

Just to give an update to Kia696 as well as to all, my Wollemi has broken the waxy cap on its terminal bud and a fresh green bud has appeared. No new growth in the way of length, however, I feel we have turned the corner and spring growth is on the way. I love spring.

22. kia796

kia796 Active Member

How cool is that, carblue..., you'll be looking at it every day to watch each stage of its growth. I hope it puts on one foot of growth for you!
    Now aren't you glad you didn't pour gasoline on it?

Mine is still in Australia, but we'll have to compare babies when it emigrates here via airmail. Should be arriving near the end of April (assuming the Food Inspection people let it in). I have a large stick in case they don't!

Our spring arrived and went, all in one day.
    Cheers!

23. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Well, there are 8 local Vancouverites who are proud parents of the Wollemia - unfortunately, I'm not one of them although I did try. They all went for $250 and up and they sure were cute !

24. Daniel Mosquin

Sorry to hear that - I originally heard there were going to be more than those available.

They were pretty healthy and robust specimens, from what I saw.

25. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Oooooh, would love to see a pic...perhaps one of the new owners would post?