Propagation: Wollemi Propagation?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Camas, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Camas

Camas Member

Has anybody propagated their wollemi pine yet?

2. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

I have not, but I am trying. I am waiting on lateral cuttings to root, but there is a lot of patience needed, as, unless it's a failure, it could take six months. There is enough lateral growing material to experiment with, but the problem is it is not worth it to risk to root vertical growth until you have some success with lateral branches. I already failed on one airlayering, I think I know why, but it will take some time until I can give it a better try

You can get a slight idea about propagating by cuttings from the second half of this movie
    http://www.skillsone.com.au/industry...e-propagation/

But my greatest hope is my biggest wollemi pine will produce cones in a few years.

3. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Wollemi's sold in garden centres are all propagated from apical shoot cuttings. They can root from laterals but will usually only form horizontal plants.
    Although not illegal to propagate Wollemia for yourself, you'd be in a whole heap of trouble if you did it for commercial benefit. The Australian government control the propagation rights quite strictly as proceeds from the sales go back into the conservation effort for Wollemi Pines and the research on them.