Witchita Blue Juniper

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by RussS, May 31, 2005.

1. RussS

RussS New Member

I am contemplating planting about 10 small Wichita Blue Junipers around my house in Pennsylvania for color accent. In between the WBJ's I'd like to plant some red or maroon flowers. (Haven't decided but might be red azaleas.) I had planted a WBJ about 10 years ago at a previous Penna residence and it did not do well inspite of being well fertilized and I suspect it was from too little sun. No w I live well out in the country and have empty flower beds around 3 sides of my house. A couple of questions for WBJ experts:

Is it a mistake to plant one say within 4 feet of the house where it would get direct sunlight for most of the day but not all of it?

Can you recommend the best fertillizer for the WBJ?

I was thinking of using red lava rock for cover instead of peat or mulch. Can you recommend something better?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you didn't like how it did before maybe you will not like how it looks if you plant it again. Here these extra-silvery cultivars tend to be attractive only at the tips, the second year foliage tending to have poor color, regardless of exposure.

Choose fertilizer after sampling your soil and having it analyzed.

3. rxbristol

rxbristol Member

I have found that WBJs love full sun and heat--the more, the bluer the color (I live just south of Hell in the summer time). Four feet is too close to the house. They will grow but will not develop their full glory because the side facing the house will be bare and the tree will look unbalanced. Why not consider at dwarf spruces instead?

Rex Bristol

4. felco

felco Member

if you wanna use chemical fertilizer then 30-15-30 is good for wbj. other wise use straight sheep manure if u can find it. 4 feet from the house shouldnt be a problem if you trim it regularly

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

On many (most?) soils 30-15-30 will be overkill. Do not overfertilize! Sample your soil and have it tested before determining there is a need for fertilizer. Excessive fertilization wastes time and money, pollutes water supplies and makes soils toxic to plants.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree with Mr B, sample the soil before drastic measures are taken to feed. If in doubt 6-8-6 is fairly safe all around but might not be the right thing. do a soil test in the yard, take some random samples from around the property and blend it in to one sample for a general reading on the needs of the soil. This is the best way to get the soil back to levels that will support healthy plant growth.

7. rxbristol

rxbristol Member

Russ,

I've attached a photo of a WBJ that was planted two feet from a brick wall. As you can tell, four feet still would not have provided the necessary space for optimum growth.

Rex

Attached Files:

• wbj1.JPG
      wbj1.JPG
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views: