witches broom...

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by harmiena43, Jun 29, 2012.

1. harmiena43

harmiena43 Member

I have recently in my Surrey- Guildford neighborhood come across something on a tree (Pinus nigra) which is apparently called a witches broom.
    When I emailed a picture to a friend in The Netherlands, he told me what it was and apparently there is only one Pinus nigra witches broom in that country.

I am curious how frequent or rare these apparitions are in our neck of the woods, and how old they may become. Should it be protected.....
    When I Googled Streetview at that location ( adress across the street) I noticed it was already there in 2009.

Attached Files:

2. Zeb Haney

Zeb Haney Member

Very Cool! I've never seen on on Austrian pine before. Most folks would tell you to get rid of it, but this advice originates in the realm of forestry where "disease" equates to lower timber yields. From nature's perspective, I would say you've been blessed with a tree that has some real character.

3. harmiena43

harmiena43 Member

hi Zeb,

thanks for posting a comment.
    I think it great too, and hope it will be there a long time.
    However it is not my tree, as it belongs to the shopping centre grounds.
    I just say 'hello' every day :)

harmien

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

If you ever come across the river to Coquitlam and Minnekhada Regional Park in the north-east, there are many misletoes along Quarry Road behind the Park. There are mostly Hemlocks along that 5K gravel road.

5. harmiena43

harmiena43 Member

David,

Thank you for your reply.
    I will keep that in mind. I'm not a great walker, but might just send an emissary with a camera:)
    Can you tell from looking at the tree which tree it is? Hemlock, pine.....I am not good at recognising them, but was told that this is a pine. (Pinus nigra) although I have doubts.
    Last couple of weeks Guildford's 'horticulturists' were working on the vines encircling these trees growing along the city sidewalks at Guildford ( cleaned them all off) and I was afraid they might have taken it down. But no, it's still there:)

I read that some horticulturists actually buy ( or poach) these to propagate cuttings for miniatures / bonzai.

Have great weekend,

Harmien

Attached Files: