Winterizing a fig tree in Arkansas

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jahcobb, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jahcobb

jahcobb Member

Hello all
    We need some help - in December 2009 my husband was given a twig of a fig tree in a 5 gallon bucket - which we left in our very cold hall - thought it was dead and then came back to life - in February we moved from New Jersey to Arkansas - fig tree in the back of the car - brought it in every night - put in it an extra room till april and then planted it - it is growing great guns - probably went from like six inches to 18 inches with nice leaves - it is now september in North West Arkansas and we do not know what to do with it for the winter - being raised in north east new jersey - every back yard had a fig tree and every winter they were wrapped with old bed sheets and tar paper and that famous either plastic or metal bucket on the top - does anyone know if that should be done here - of course with as small as this is - we can use pillow cases and a childs sand pail - Arkansas usually does not get as cold as New Jersey - and that is the only way I know how to winterize a fig tree - I would welcome any ideas - either by post or e mail me at jahcobb@yahoo.com - thanks

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Do you know the species? I also live in NW Arkansas and we grow many plants that don't like the cold but all are in a tropical atrium. If the plant survived where you were living using the techniques you described I would duplicate them since we often have severe winters here with subzero temps, snow is common. I know of people in Texas that grow some figs without any protection but without knowing the species advice is "iffy".

Steve

Attached Files:

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Edited to say you're in zone 6a/b in Siloam Springs and will need to protect it as you
    would've in New Jersey.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010