Wintering lemon tree indoors

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by AliceJM, Oct 11, 2020.

1. AliceJM

AliceJM New Member

This lemon tree was grown from seed from a typical grocery store bought lemon so I don’t know how cold hardy it is. I’ve kept it indoors for the last three years. This is the first summer I have kept it outside It did surprisingly well despite being on a north facing deck. (Vancouver, BC).

I brought the tree back inside today and it is now under a led grow lamp. The plastic is to minimize drips (hardwood floor) when i mist the plant to maintain humidity. Too heavy to drag into the shower each time.

Question: can anyone identify his lemon tree and what procedures should I take for wintering indoors? Should I be wintering outside?

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

This tree is possibly Meyer lemon (Citrus × meyeri), if the fruit was not very bitter/acidic, or Lisbon lemon, if the fruit was very sour.
    These are two most common lemon types in grocery stores. If the fruit was very acidic, having a neck beneath the stem and somewhat thicker skin, then it could also be Eureka lemon.
    As the tree was grown from the seed and citruses are hybridizing easily, you can't be sure, that it has obtained full set of properties of its parent cultivar.
    The tree looks very healthy, I would keep it over winter indoors. You have nice place with large windows, that suits well for that.