wintering canna lilies

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by hillbilliesue, Feb 6, 2007.

1. hillbilliesue

hillbilliesue Member

I've heard that on V.I. we should be able to winter cannas outside successfully if mulched properly. I had mine in pots covered in leaves-I had no idea temps would go down to -degrees so often this year. I live in Duncan(half-way betw. Vic.&Nanaimo). Is there a time I should be looking for new growth to tell if they've made it? I'd appreciate any tips on growing them-this is my ist exper. with them. Thanks-Sue:)

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Sue--you should have no problem overwintering them in the ground...I'm much colder than you and they always come back, even without mulching here. Good drainage is needed, but you guys on the island usually have that.

I'd be surprised if the potted cannas survive, however. I have containers here, and they all froze pretty well solid in the cold snaps. If you can tip out the root balls, you should be able to see if there are any living roots still in there. If they happen to have died...you should be able to beg some divisions off other gardeners, as we always have to chop away parts of our clumps to thwart their attempts at world/garden domination.

In any case, they do take their sweet time re-emerging in spring, unless you can bring them into some warmth now and get a jump start on spring=much taller, impressive plants next summer. I just ignore mine, and they eventually get to a modest size after a slow start in spring...again, this is in the ground unprotected, in probably a zone colder area than you.

3. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I overwinter mine without mulch, so I agree with growest, I think they'll be fine.