Winter protection for small Magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Terry W, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Terry W

Terry W Member

Hi all, first time posting here!

Any thoughts on the best way to protect a small magnolia tree for the winter (Southern Ontario)? The tree is about 3' tall. It didn't bloom too much this past spring, but did grow much better than the year before. Last fall I just put a layer of mulched leaves around the base. The year before, the previous owners didn't do anything and much of the tree was dead come spring time. I pruned the dead parts off and it was nice and bushy this summer. I watered and fed it lots this summer and want to do whatever I can to keep it healthy now.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

It would be useful to know what type of magnolia you have. "Star magnolias", for example are quite hardy and can take winters in Hardiness Zone 4. All you probably need to do is to it a good layer of mulch around the base of the trunk and extending beyond the tree's drip line. You can give it further protection by piling snow around it. You can protect the top growth by using some kind of barrier to reduce further damage by a combination of wind and cold, but that would be, in my opinion, too much work to be worth it for a tree!

3. Terry W

Terry W Member

Thanks very much. :)