winter care for container grown maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

I got myself a "4K" video camera and thought I would post this video that I uploaded to my channel. Hopefully I am getting a better image onto bigger screens. I am planning a series of repotting video's in early spring as we have several old and large container grown specimens that are due for root prunning and then placing back into the pots.

The polar bear in the intro is a photo taken by my wife when she traveled to Churchill Manitoba a few years ago. Good thing it had already eaten!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good video Otto, will give some excellent advice especially to our newer members and growers of Japanese maples.
    PS Love your greenhouse btw.
    PPS. That's an amazing amount of geese. Shame you couldn't film them.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  3. Otto Bjornson

thanks Derek,
    Yes the video does cater to newer growers for sure.
    The greenhouse is now semi retired as well, more of a social gathering room now.
    I was tempted to capture the snow geese but that would have meant rushing to the tripod and grabbing the camera. By then I felt they would no longer be in good view

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Good advice about winter watering, too, which most inexperienced hobbyists forget. And of course top dressing is always a great idea.

Winter advice is often quite regional. Here, with warm, wet winters, where the temps often hover around 0 - 5C, we really recommend putting potted maples in a shed. Simply because they won't stay too wet and be subject to massive pseudomonas attacks in when the night temps are near freezing. JMs, in pots or otherwise, love snow in winter. We rarely have any these days, but some of the other sub-tropical maples are very happy to go without.

I'm with Derek, loving the greenhouse!

Acerholic and Otto Bjornson like this.
  5. Otto Bjornson

We do put on a few intimate concerts in the spring / summer months. Seating for 35 - 40 people with all the garden greens you can eat

Attached Files: