Windmill palms

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Henry Randolph, May 24, 2006.

1. Henry Randolph

Henry Randolph Member

I live in Richmond, Virginia and have two windmill palms living outside in the ground in protected places. The one planted 2 years ago received no winter damage. The other one planted last year suffered damage from a late freeze. The new fran was killed as well as a new leaf that was coming out. At this time three new shoots are coming out in active growth.
    My question is there a heating tape avaliable to use in the winter to guard against such die backs ? It would have to be water proof, and heat only slightly when needed. Is there a horticulturist there that could recomend such a device that I could use fot this purpose ?
    Thank,
    Henry Randolph
    christmastreepalm@yahoo.com

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Never heard of something like this being used, but the heating cables used for undersoil heating in greenhouses, and/or for keeping ice-free holes in ponds, might work. They would both be waterproof.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I've seen heating coils that you can put around plants that are marginal in the winter. I don't think there is a "tape" though.

4. Henry Randolph

Henry Randolph Member

Hi Carol,
    Do you know of a source of these heating coils , where I may be able to order two of them ?
    Thanks,
    Henry Randolph

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years