Windmill Palms (Protection during cold spells )

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Henry Randolph, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Henry Randolph

Henry Randolph Member

Does anyone know of a heating tape that stays just above freezing that I could use to protect my Windmill palms from gettig killed back during very cold spells ?
    I live in Richmond, Virginia. The tapes could be run on a powerstat. to reduce the voltage. I need two about 15 feet long.

2. PenderPalms

PenderPalms Member

Any large hardware store in your area should carry heating tape or I prefer heating cables. They are sold to prevent water pipes from freezing, but protecting palms is a excellent use for them.
    Best of luck protecting your palms

3. Tom Kerber

Tom Kerber Member

We are working on a new product that warms plants above a certain temperature that could be used for other types of plants or trees. Check out our new website at www.theelectricblanket.com . We hope to bring this type of patent pending product to the market for other types of plants as well.

Tom Kerber

4. Henry Randolph

Henry Randolph Member

Thanks for your responce. I have obtained burlap to wrap around the trunk, and I have obtained a heating tape (6ft) 12 watt, which comes on at 34º F I am checking on the amount of warmth it puts out as I do not want to stimulate growth. I just want to be prepared for a deep freeze, and to protect the new leaves from getting frozen.If it heats to much I plan to operate the tape on a powerstat to reduce the voltage to the tape. Henry Randolph

5. ron3215

ron3215 Member

Henry, Did You Use Both Heating Cable And Burlap? Did You Wrap The Cable With Burlap. Im Going Thru The Same Thing Here And Trying To Find Best Way To Protect My Windmill Palm

6. hrandolph

hrandolph Member

Last fall I found burlap roll that was 36 inches wide. I folded it in half and wraped around the trunk from the ground to where the new growth was coming out. I tied cotten string around it to hold it in place. Then I wraped a pipe heating tape that was 9 feet long. Over the heating tap, I did the same procedure with the burlap to the ground. This tape comes on at about 34º F it is 18 watt. In the eary spring, I would only plug the cable in when the temperature was forcasted to get down below 28º F. This was not to have a burst in new growth until cold weather was over.
    I had no cold damage last winter, and I have had amazing growth this season.

The heating tape came from : Wrap-On Company, Inc.
    5550 West 70th Place
    Bedford Park, Illinonis 60638-6326 USA
    Tel. 1- 800-621-6947
    This worked for me.

Good Luch,
    Henry Randolph

7. ron3215

ron3215 Member

when you wrapped the tree with the burlap did you only wrap the trunk or did you wrap the leaves also? thanks for the info.

8. hrandolph

hrandolph Member

I wrapped only the trunk with burlap ( 1 yard wide folded in half ). Then I wrapped the heating cable from the ground to where the new leaves are comimg out. I rewrapped over the heating cable with folded over burlap from the ground to where the new leaves are coming out.
    I then wrapped cotton string around it to hold it in place.

Good luck

Henry