Propagation: Windmill Palm Tree - growing from seed

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ethanhawaii, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ethanhawaii

ethanhawaii New Member

Hello,
    I purchased some Windmill Palm tree seeds and have not had any success in getting them to germinate. I put them in a mix of peat, perlite. They were kept moist but ended up going moldy after about 6 weeks. Maybe too wet?
    I now am starting again. This time I soaked the seeds for 3 days, dipped in a 10/1 water/bleach to kill fungi, rinsed again, and planted. I understand they can take 8-12 weeks to germinate.
    Has anyone had success growing from seed - any tips to offer?
    Thanks so much,
    Ethan

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Try contacting the PNWPEPS (pacific northwest palm and exotic plant society ) - http://www.hardypalm.com/ - for helpful hints on growing palms.

3. turtile

turtile Member

The medium should not loose any water when it's squeezed. If it does, it's too wet. Use a systemic fungicide and soak the seeds for three days first.

4. Aisya

Aisya Member

Are they fresh seeds,

Some people go by float or sink to see if the seed is viable.

I bought two small seedlings and now they are planted in the garden last summer, they have really took off.

Have you tried scarifying, soak in very hot water for maybe 48 hrs, then chip the hard seed but take care.

I found you this, it should help.

Sowing: Sow indoors at any time of year.
    Soak the seed in warm water for two to three days; change the water each 24 hours.
    The seeds can be started by either of these two methods:
    1. The Baggie method, Place seeds in a plastic bag together with the moist sowing medium.
    2. Sow into trays containing the sowing medium, Sow in (6mm) deep uncover the medium to view the roots.
    The best sowing medium is a sterile one. Perlite and vermiculite work well, as does coir otherwise a sterile peat/sand mix can be used. The medium should be barely damp but not wet. Be sure not to add too much water or the seeds will rot. More people kill seeds with water than anything else.
    These seeds germinate at room temperature only 18 to 21C (64 to 70F). Do not use tropical greenhouses or heated propagator!
    Check from time to time. They usually produce a long root some time before the shoot appears, it helps to examine seeds regularly, any of which have produced a root can be potted into 3in (7.5cm) pots of peat/sand mix and the remainder re-sown.

Transplanting:
    Some seedlings may appear within 8 to 12 weeks others may take longer.
    Transplant to deep pots (essential as they put down deep root systems) Pot either into small individual pots or group a few in one large pot to grow on.
    Palms need warmth to grow well, if you don't provide warmth the roots struggle to take up nutrients and you more often that not get a sickly seedling that dies or turn yellow. Water only when they get dry. Keep at room temperature.

Cultivation:
    For the first few months of its life the seedling gets all the nutrients and minerals it needs from the seed itself to help it establish a root system so that it can fend for itself. For seedlings the simplest method is to use 12 month release granules.

Windmill palm/Trachicarpus fortunei..lovely palm, good luck ethan!!

5. ethanhawaii

ethanhawaii New Member

thank you so much everyone for your
    responses.