Windmill Palm - transplanting from pot to ground.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by 7TropicNites2, Jun 24, 2008.

1. 7TropicNites2

7TropicNites2 Member

I am located in southeastern North Carolina. I will be transplanting a small (2½ foot) windmill palm from pot to the ground. I am requesting all or any cultural data I will need to help this palm feel at home in its new surroundings. Our ground is fairly dry and does not soak up moisture very easily. When weather is really dry, our ground repells water from a hard downpour. Any suggestions on what to do to achieve appropriate soil type along with width and depth for planting would be appreciated. Advice regarding how moist the soil should stay, amount of sun, or any feeding at planting time is needed. If the tree is rootbound when taken out of the pot, am I to unwind the roots, cut them or will it be okay to just plant as is? Our weather can get chilly at times in winter. Should I know any facts regarding location of planting this tree? I have heard something about dormant oil spray on palms in regards to the cold weather of winters. It could be possible that it might have been mentioned to use AFTER a cold winter. I'm not sure, but if anyone can explain that to me it would be nice to know. Thank you to any and all who take the time to read and help me out with my questions.

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

You'll need to amend the planting area with a well composted steer manure or similar product to increase moisture at the roots. Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill palm) repsond well to moisture but not standing water.
    These will grow in full sun or even almost total shade but should be sheltered from heavy winds. No need to tamper with the roots after you remove it from the container, just be sure to plant it at the same depth so soil doesn't contact the trunk.
    I've never used any sprays on my palms even in the worst weather. I mix my fertilizer uses, sometimes Miracle~Gro other times fish emulsion or an evergreen high nitrogen fertilizer (more so in the spring).
    The first year it'll concentrate on setting new fresh roots and not so much top growth, so again soil moisture is critical.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member