Windmill Palm indoors and outdoors

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Bruce Hanson, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Bruce Hanson

Bruce Hanson Member

I live just west of Calgary so don't have the climate you folks in BC enjoy, however, want to try my luck at a palm in the front yard. I plan to leave it in a pot in the ground for the summer and bring in the house for the winter. The Windmill Palm seems to be the best candidate as it is very cold hardy so should do OK on cool spring or fall days.

I'm wondering how a plant does being moved from the house to outside and back again every year. Any advice.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Bruce,

There are a few 'tricks' moving plants indoors and out. To move outdoors, put it in the shade on a warm day and do this for about a week, bringing it in at night. After a week you can leave it out at night after all danger of frost has past, since your palm is not used to frost. If you will be 'planting' in sun, get it accostomed to the sun gradually as well.

To bring it in, check carefully for bugs and rinse off the foilage. Start BEFORE you turn the heat on, bringing it in at night before it gets too cold so it can get used to the temps in the house.

http://www.plant-care.com/plantcaretips/081100.asp

Newt