windmill leaves browning

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by F1aReD, Mar 25, 2007.

1. F1aReD

F1aReD Member

hello,

My windmill palm's leaves (I forgot the real name) are turning black and are crunchy at the end..especially the lower branches (again, i forgot the name) is there anything i should do? i didnt think it was a problem until i noticed all of them are starting to do it..

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Do you mean Chusan Palm Trachycarpus fortunei?

3. F1aReD

F1aReD Member

Well yes, but I meant I forgot the name to the leaves, its not called a "leave"

4. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

Would "frond" be the word you are looking for? I thought I was the only one who forgets a word just when I need it the most.

5. F1aReD

F1aReD Member

Yes!, thanks..Now what are the "branches" called? Or are they just called branches? Palms seem to have all these different names from normal trees, not branches or leaves

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

For the record, the common name used in North America is Windmill palm Trachycarpus fortunei. "Chusan" is peculiar to European vernacular.

F1aReD ... Is your palm in a suitable climate for routine cultivation, winter protected in a borderline climate or indoors? How long have you had it to make past comparisons? Overall size of your palm (age) will help as will a photo if possible.

Cheers, LPN.

7. F1aReD

F1aReD Member

My palm is indoors...I've only had it for about a month, it arrived completely root bound and had been outside. I quickly re planted+watered it.

From that point, the only time I did anything was when I took it out of the pot and pulled the roots apart a bit seeing as there was alot of them, filled it with more soil, watered and its been left alone ever since..Here are some pictures of the brown fronds and overall size of the palm:

Attached Files:

8. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I believe this palm is suffering from several factors. Recent transplant, indoor environment (low humidity / light), and overcrowed roots. Looks like there's quite a bit of air space between the crowded roots and indoor conditions probably are not the best. I've never seen a thinner trunk on a Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill palm) of that height, ever. You palm needs spring to arrive real soon.

Cheers, LPN.

9. F1aReD

F1aReD Member

Do you think putting it into an even bigger pot would help with the crowded roots..? Or should I just leave it alone at this point..?

I think I may be able to place it outside in a sunny spot..more humidity..Now that its spring it only gets down to the 20 F range at night on the coldest nights and the mid-40s during the day..Tomorow is gonna be about 63 (F)..

What would you do?