Wind!!!

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by melodysimon, Sep 17, 2008.

1. melodysimon

melodysimon Member

Hi,

Am desperately trying to find some appropriate trees for wind break on our farm in Merritt, B.C.

I've done quite a bit of research and think that hybrid lombardy poplars would be the best. However the greenhouses don't seem to know much about the hybrid poplars or where to get them.
    We have quite a bit of area and are thinking about doing three layers of different types of trees. First large cedars, then lombardy, and finished by a mix.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm. Are you willing to go a bit further afield to track some down?

I typed in Merritt to the BC Landscape and Nursery Association's member directory, and received 0 results. There were a few from Kamloops, though:

BCLNA Member Search (need to type in Kamloops)

I do believe that Lombardy poplars will do well there -- if my identification skills are accurate, I think I've seen them many times in my treks around there.

As for a coniferous hedge of some sort to accompany them, I'm not sure what to recommend. I don't recall seeing too many large stands of cultivated conifers in the area -- perhaps a spruce of some sort? You need something to withstand the summer hot and dry season.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

You might be able to buy bare root poplar (and other trees) from Bylands nursery in Kelowna. As for a layer system, perhaps colorado or engelman spruce, russian olive and the lombardy poplars would work.

4. melodysimon

melodysimon Member

Thank you very much!