Willow invaders

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Bastiaan, May 10, 2011.

1. Bastiaan

Bastiaan Member

The beginning of summer has blessed us with some warm weather here in central Europe. due to multiple days of 25C, 80F temperatures and no rain I was watering our garden plants.
    As i walked under our Willow, I guess it is a japanese weeping dwarf variety (if that even exists) I noticed water dropping on my head.
    While we hadn't got a single drop of rain the previous days this made me curious.
    As i looked up i noticed foamy patches on the leaves.
    these white,wet foamy patches where about 2.5cm (an inch) in diameter and clearly where the threes reaction to having its leaves munched on by black insects.
    In some cases this defense mechanism seemed to work while there where dead bugs in the foam.
    The bugs are about 0.2 to 0.5cm long (0.1 to 0.2 inches) with an elongated body, 3or 4 pair of legs on the upper part of the body and a black colour. They where grouped together with 2 to 6 of them eating the leaves. I dont think it are aphids

Just looking to the canopy from one side i could see dozens of these "foamy patches"
    What should i do? this willow is the prime three of our garden being 20years old, 7m (23feet) high and wide.
    We don't want to loose this tree !
    Does anyone know what this is or do you need pictures ?

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years