Willow globe robs weeping cherry of sunshine

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by dkutasy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. dkutasy

dkutasy Member

I have a weeping cherry tree planted over a small pond and about 12 feet away a willow globe tree. I love both trees and I don't want to cut either of them down. Both were planted about 7 years ago. The willow globe is towering above the weeping cherry and robbing the weeping cherry tree of sunshine. My husband plans to try to dig up the cherry and relocate it this fall, I'm afraid it will die. I've enclosed a photo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I love to watch the willow sway in the breeze and the weeping cherry would be gorgeous iover the pond f it could get sunshine! Help!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If done promptly the willow can be cut down to short stumps, to regrow during the rest of spring and summer. You could do this every year, if desired.

But the two growth habits do not look good together anyway, the willow being upright and the cherry pendent. One produces an appearance of upward movement, the other downward. A tree with horizontal branching would look fine with either, but the two together produces an impression of conflicting movement.

3. dkutasy

dkutasy Member

I appreciate the advice, it gives us another option, the cherry is more of an investment so I'd rather sacrifice the globe. If I cut the globe back the cherry would have a better chance at survival. Thanks again, Ron

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cherry not likely to die if transplanted with some knowledge of this procedure involved. Do it after the leaves fall.