Will this work for a compost tumbler?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Tyne, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Tyne

Tyne Member

I would like to have a miniature compost tumbler on my balcony for composting kitchen scraps. I need it to be sealed to avoid odor and deter raccoons. The commercial models available are way out of my price range. I'm not good at building things, so I've been checking my local thrifts stores for something that I could convert.

Here's what I found. It is a circular metal container attached to a base. It spins on the base. The only opening is the lid, which also has a small hole in the center. The container looks like it could hold maybe seven gallons. I am not sure what kind of metal it is made of. The inscription on the side reads "Horikawa Press K.K. Patent Number 232128." One person told me that he thought it it was a dry cleaner. I can't find any information online.

I'm wondering if this is safe to use as a compost tumbler. If not, I can return it, so please let me know! What kind of metal is this and/or is it safe for a compost bin? Do I need to worry about rust? Could there be chemical residue of some kind and if so how should I clean it? Does the natural composting process work at such a small scale, or would I need to add worms? Are there any other potential problems that I am missing?

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Yes Its perfect

:)

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Nifty!
    Try slapping a magnet on it: if the magnet latches on, your find contains iron and therefore might do some rusting.

I would probably wash it out just on general principles. One concern might be getting enough air in there...I know that one essential part of composting is to aerate and turn the pile. Maybe some more holes?

Hey---welcome to the Forum! Am sure our composting mavens will share their vast knowledge with you. Good luck!

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

Because there is no ventilation, I suspect that the material will become anaeobic and smell. This is what you are trying to avoid if I understand correctly. It's a cute machine but it is doubtful that it will produce compost for you.

If you are on a budget, build compost bins from old pallets. It will require some work to disassemble the pallets but the process produces functional bins.

6. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I would like that device for mixing potting soil at home. It appears to be about the right size for small quantities.

It has the appearance of being a quality product, and is probably a hand washing machine as somebody already mentioned.

7. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

For a better composter you can spray-paint it black.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009