Will the Flax come back?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Susan Johnson, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Susan Johnson

Susan Johnson Member

I went out today to dig up my beautiful New Zeland flax plants that looked very dead after the hellacious winter we all just went through. Low and behold - the roots looked vibrant and alive. I decided to give them another month. Has anyone else had them re-generate?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A purple one on Camano Island has frozen twice now since planting several years ago. After the first time the top came back weakly.

In Auburn you are out there a ways; it could be quite cold (relatively speaking) particularly if you are in a hollow or on the valley floor. You might consider giving up on these as their minimum temperature is pretty high: that's why there are brown ones all over the place now even on sites close to the Sound.

It appears many locations got down to around 16F. I'm beginning to hear reports of below 10F from people not that far out, Martha Lake just east of I-5 for instance. Temperatures may really fall off rapidly as you move away from salt water.

On the other hand, a long-established garden on a hill way out near Kent doesn't get any colder than parts of the Seattle arboretum (both 7F in 1990). But it is on a hill, rather than on the level or in a frost pocket. Cold air can move off instead of settling around it.