Will fig trees destroy my house foundation?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Brandon Burke, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Brandon Burke

Brandon Burke New Member

So Ive planted 7 fig trees around my house and im wondering if anyone has heard of the trees roots eventually ruining the foundation of their homes. My house is on a concrete slab and I have no basement. Ive tried looking online for information about this but I havent found anything. The only stuff I can find is about warmer climates where fig trees ruin sidewalks and buildings but those trees grow massive compared to the fig trees where I live. I live on vancouver island and ive planted desert king, ronde de bordeaux, violette de bordeaux, panache, lsu purple, and italian honey. Im not sure if any of those will eventually cause issues. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear.

2. SecheltSara

SecheltSara New Member

Highly anecdotal, but my neighbour's house was built in 1965 on concrete foundation and has a fig tree RIGHT against it (like I can barely get my arm between the trunk and the house), and the tree now provides a bit of shade on the second story patio. It doesn't appear to have harmed the foundation any, but the tree produces a small amount of fruit which never ripens. I suspect it can't get enough water. The original owner of the home said that it has never properly fruited while the "twin" tree in the front which was produced with cuttings from the same source provides a healthy yield.