Will Concord grapes produce a second crop if the first one is destroyed by cold?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by jposey, Apr 9, 2007.

1. jposey

jposey Member

I have a question. My concord grapevines were loaded with lots of bunches of tiny grapes. This past weekend the temperature dropped to 24 degrees. Even though the vines were covered with blankets, all my new growth and tiny grapes were destroyed. I am new to growing grapes and this was to be my first crop. I am sure they will produce new leaves, but will the vines produce any new grapes since these were killed while so young?

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Each bud on a grapevine is actually 3 buds, called (sensibly enough) the primary, secondary and tertiary buds. When the primaries (and their shoots) are killed, the hopefully surviving secondaries or tertiaries will force shoots, however these shoots from the start are less fruitful. Add to that the reduction in available time to ripen and your chances for a useable crop don't look great. Commercially this year's crop from these vines would probably be considered a write off, but recreationally you may be able to salvage and ripen some bunches with pruning and luck with a long season.

Ralph

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Tertiary buds should be ok as will the secondary buds that have not emerged yet this growing season (some may have??). There is still plenty of time this summer for your Concord grapes....we have a much shorter season then you and still ripen the Concords easily (unlike viniferas). Despite your frost, you'll still have a longer season than us.

Simon

4. jposey

jposey Member

Thanks to the two who posted a reply to my question. We normally do not get this kind of cold weather into April, but the entire eastern coast has had very cold weather this past weekend. We will be having warm and even hot weather in South Carolina until sometime in October, so I am hopeful that maybe I might get a few bunches of grapes. These are for my family, not for commerical use, so any that I harvest will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

JPosey