Wildflowers: Wildflowers of Southwest France

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Gomero, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Spring wildflowers were pretty much non-existent in this part of the world (Toulouse region in Southwest France) due to a basically rainless Spring. After that we have had one of the rainiest July ever and, as a result, we have this month of August one of the most outstanding display of wildflowers ever seen around here at this time of the year. I have been busily snapping pictures of them and have been able to identify about 80% of them.

There a re a few I have not been able to and I would appreciate help identifying them. Here are the first 4 plants (the first two pics belong to the same plant). They all grow in a sunny prairie setting.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

I have received two IDs

Second unknown plant (third pic) is Verbena officinalis
    Fourth unknown plant (last pic) is Hieracium pilosella

Gomero

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The first plant looks like some kind of mint. The pink flowers look like some type of Dianthus.

4. Gomero

Another ID received:

Third plant (fourth pic) is indeed a Dianthus: Dianthus carthusianorum

The leaves of the first plant do not give off anything that could be remotely associated with mint. Mentha arvensis, common around here does smell mint when crushed.

Gomero

5. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Check for these three:

Mentha spicata - http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2005/11/24/spearmint/
    Mentha suaveolens - http://josenaturaleza.blogspot.com/2010/08/mentha-suaveolens-ehrh-fam-lamiaceae.html
    Mentha villosa - http://www.romencegardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=3497

6. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

The Dianthus species is Dianthus armeria, certainly not Dianthus carthusianorum. The mint is not Mentha arvensis, but I am not sure about the species. The identification of Hieracium pilosella should be considered extremely doubtful. I just cannot see enough of this plant. I agree with Verbena officinalis.

7. Gomero

Thanks Andrey, Mentha suaveolens is close.

Thanks Robert, you may be right in the Dianthus. To confirm Hieracium pilosella ID, I am enclosing two additional pics, one with the flower and another one of the leaves.

Gomero

Attached Files:

8. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

This is certainly not Hieracium pilosella, because this species has entire leaves. I wonder whether this might be Urospermum dalechampii because of the dark flower tips, but I haven't found this plant so far. Therefore I am not sure.

9. Gomero

Thank you Robert, I have looked at the pictures of Urospermum dalechampii available in the Web and I agree that it is a better match than Hieracium pilosella. Also its geographical habitat, Western and Central Mediterranean from Spain to Dalmatia and North Africa, matches well (Toulouse region is very close to Spain).

Gomero