Wild Roses of Canada

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Daniel Mosquin, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Putting it bluntly, it's a popular magazine style puff piece. Reads like writer is not familiar with topic at all, picked up a few quick facts in time to cobble this together. Descriptions so brief as to be useless. No details of appearance of R. gymnocarpa given at all, except height. One shade (pale) of pink given for R. nutkana, which in reality ranges from quite strong pink down--even right in the same stand. Doubtless others listed much more variable than indicated.

Reminds me of rose society publications and nursery catalogs that also give a single color for wild species, as though the writers aren't aware of anything other than clonal cultivars and their comparative uniformity.

3. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

OK You guys..sounds like you are being a tad too critical here. This "Sarah" set out to give an overview as I understand and I thought it wasn't too bad. She covered the basics and offered hints on uses as well. She was short on pics but who is to say what the article was supposed to cover or for what application. I feel like it was good overview. My two cents. Deb :)

4. Debra Dunaway

Ron..I have to respond to your comment and obvious frustration.. I too feel it when reading articles on Ornamental Grasses, but, we have to remember that people are at different levels and only through education and demonstration will we be able to bring others to the true level of appreciation you and I both share in our respective passions. Deb

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Basics were NOT covered, that's my point. "Appearance: grows so many centimetres high" does extremely little to convey the distinctive appearance of Rosa gymnocarpa, its tiny parts being the most striking aspect. And so on.

6. Debra Dunaway

Ron, on rereading the article I can see your point. To improve the article without making it too lengthy, she could have chosen to describe less species and perhaps added a picture with more description. Otherwise, I thought it wasn't too bad. Deb

7. David & Crenagh Elliott

David & Crenagh Elliott Member

In this connection as I have been out of touch with this forum for some time. Is there anything definitive on the Species Roses of Canada? I am a member of the HelpMeFind editorial forum, a restricted group, and Rose rapa has been mentioned. In fact its existence queried. Can anyone help as our wish is to make the information in HMF as accurate as possible.