Wild blackberries in BC

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by RAlan, Aug 11, 2004.

1. RAlan

RAlan Member

I am in Edmonton, and I am wondering how far west I have to go to find wild blackberries?
    Also, how is the crop this year, and when would be the best time to pick them?

Thanks,
    Alan

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Alan,

The amount of wild blackberries (Rubus armeniacus - see this thread) is pretty spectacular this year, combined with an extended growing season. They've been pickable and edible since early July, and are still going strong.

Unfortunately for you, they are almost entirely a plant of southwestern British Columbia. If you have an opportunity to visit Vancouver (and Burnaby), there are plenty growing along the walk / ride paths that accompany the Skytrain lines in many places, particularly southeast Burnaby.

Looking at the distribution maps for the species in British Columbia from the Illustrated Flora of BC, I see there are populations in what roughly correlates to the Penticton area, and another near Revelstoke. I can't help with where exactly those might be, though - Revelstoke would be closest to you - a 7-8 hour drive, I think.