Why my leaves turning brown over 2 days

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Kimberly Noble, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Kimberly Noble

Kimberly Noble New Member

I finally put my tropical plant outside ( not sure what type of plant this is and I live in Virginia) since its gotten warmer and I watered it and then it rained and within 2 days the gigantic new leaf turned brown and other leaves brown. What could cause this?? Too much sun or water or need fertilizer?

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably a sunburn. It seems to be the top leaf where the most exposure would have occurred. Plants have to be acclimated to the sun so they don't get burned. I see the temps can still be kind of low at night for tropicals in VA. It could be cold damage. Are you bringing them in at night? Or give them some cover at night.

3. Kimberly Noble

Kimberly Noble New Member

Thank you for the information. No I didn't bring them in since the temps were above 50 degrees these last few nights but I have brought in now since its going into the 40’s for next week or so at night. So maybe it was a mixture of sunburn and cold at night. Should i cut those leaves off or leave them? And thank you so VERY much for the help. I was at a loss and so upset!!