Why is the new growth falling off my money tree? :(

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Plant Newbie, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Is it a sign of overwatering? Under watering? Too much light?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, yes and yes. :)

also, too little light could cause it. too much heat/too little, a bug infestation and so can the stress of being moved to a new environment!

how long have you had it? what kind of soil and container is it in? did you repot it recently? any signs of bugs? white fluffy stuff at the base of the leaves where they meet the trunk, small white/clearish bugs, black bugs, any webbing similar to spider webs on the plant?

3. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Yes! There are very small webs around the clusters of new growth and these TINY brown bugs moving all around. Is that spider mites? How do I get rid of them?

4. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Take the plant outside and hose it down thoroughly. After bringing it indoors, mist the foliage from time to time. Spider mites flourish only when the foliage is too dry for too long. Insecticides don't work on mites because they are arachnids not insects.

5. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Safer soap will work nicely though.

6. joclyn

i'm sorry!! i missed your reply (and the others until today).

a good spray down with water will get rid of most of them. you would need a mitecide to treat them (over insecticide as steve mentions). the safer soap would work.

most important is to keep the humidity level up a bit (they don't like it) so misting every day is the best deterrent. make sure to mist the new growth tips and the spots where the leaves meet the stem very well and, of course, the rest of the plant too. just focus a bit more on those spots where they tend to congregate.

7. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I've also put my plants in a large, clear bag (drycleaning one are good) to make a 'greenhouse' environment and raise the humidity. That worked very well too.

8. joclyn

oh!! that's a fantastic idea!!