Why is my wisteria coming up around the base

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Sherry, May 17, 2008.

1. Sherry

Sherry Member

Hi Everyone,

Another wisteria question: the other of my two wisterias, 3 years old and about 5 ft tall has not gotten any leaves on the main trunk at all. I am trying to train it into a "tree" instead of a climber. Well, last year it looked ok, no blooms but plenty of leaves, but this year, it has no leaves at all. It literally looks like a long dead stick. However, coming up from the ground around the trunk are little green stems with tiny leaves, about 4 stems, approximately 1-3 inches tall now.

This happened to a butterfly bush we tried to grow, where green stems grew up from the ground all around the main base of the bush two years ago, and last year the whole bush was completely dead.

I'm ready to yank it out of the ground and buy another, but I thought I'd ask here, since it's the second time something I've planted started out looking great, until this shooting up around the plant happened while the main trunks were dead.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Sherry

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to vines and climbers)

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

The first thing you need to determine is if the main stem is indeed dead - scratch a bit of bark off it and see if the tissue underlying is green.