Why have my Burgundy Lace Japanese Maple leaves turned from burgundy to green?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by tsb0128, Jun 6, 2011.

1. tsb0128

tsb0128 Member

I purchased and planted a three foot Burgundy Lace Japanese Maple about two months ago. It is planted in a spot that gets full sun. The tree still looks very healthy but the beautiful burgundy leaves are all green now. Any suggestions? Could I have done something wrong? Thank you for your help.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

According to Vertrees (4th Ed.): "as the season progresses leaf color turns bronzy or greenish." This will be particularly true for interior or north facing leaves.

Still this one does normally hold color pretty well, and it seems a bit early, but maybe the maple thinks it is later because of planting stress. Perhaps it will do better once more established.

-E

3. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

My Burgundy Lace in Auburn, AL, is still quite red but I estimate it gets about 70% shade plus you have me beat in heat even though this summer is already starting out in the 'ridiculous' category for heat and drought here. Mine will eventually 'bronze out' to green before turning scarlet red in the fall by July or August in my particular climate. I am interested in how yours looks in August-September in full sun in Orlando and whether or not you have leaf scorching.

Justin

4. tsb0128

tsb0128 Member

I now have leaf scorching. Should I move it to a place that doesn't get as much afternoon sun or leave it alone?

5. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

I think Vertrees suggests that this maple is prone to leaf burn in full sun and your climate and zone is particularly hot for a long time. You can always try more shade and see. Also understand that it may take several years for the maple to establish itself where planted and, once established, this will also protect against some leaf burn and signs of stress. You can also make sure that it is watered once or twice a week until it is established and this will further help reduce stress.
    I suggest being patient (this means a year or two) and if these suggestions don't work, try a different cultivar. After summers like this one in my zone, quite a few of my cultivars, even with shade and weekly water, will show leaf burn by August. Most of mine have also been in the ground for at least 3 years and are in the 7 to 10 year old range.
    Not discouraging you, but you may have to experiment to find a hardy cultivar for your area. Research cultivars like Seiryu, Kamagata, Fireglow, Sherwood Flame, Shaina, to name a few,as these do best in my zone which is on the edge between 7 and 8. Maybe someone else from zone 9 can make some suggestions for hardy cultivars from their experiences.
    Justin