Why doesn't grass grow under conifers?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Anne58, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

My neighbour planted a couple of conifers ( a spruce and a cedar) along the property line and over the years my lawn under those trees has been fighting a losing battle.

The neighbours property is about 4.5 ft above my own and the trees are planted at the edge of the retaining wall between the properties. I've tried to keep the overhang from the trees pruned up about 8 feet above my lawn but I just can't seem to keep the grass (or anything else for that matter) growing in the ground under the trees.

What causes this? Lack of water, sunlight, acid soil, decomposing needles (I try and keep them raked up as they accumulate), not enough nutrients?

Thanks for any advice.

Anne

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think it is acid soil. Try finding a low growing ground cover to grow where the grass won't Hopefully someone will have a suitable plant for you. I am not familiar with the types of plants that might work in yr. area.

Liz

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Shade, and competition for the water from the trees' roots.

4. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Most conifers are branched down to the ground which completely shades out the area underneath. If the tree is limbed up it would help with a ground cover, but most any ground cover including grass will not do well because of reasons stated above.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Saw an idea on another list that might help. Some one suggested river stones or similar big and little ones to create a pattern. Then when the needles fall just blow or sweep them of. Meanwhile water can still get down to the roots. Just do the stone work on the area where grass is unhappy. It does not have to be a straight line but a sort of merge of the two areas.

Liz

6. ursula

ursula Member

I think it is the combination of deep shade, dryness and acidity. You definitly are not going to get any grass growing there, you might get some ivy to grow, but if it does it will try to take over. (At least in my experience from England, I have only been in Canada for a year and my experience here is limited.

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Grass won't grow under conifers because virtually nothing will grow under conifers! Big trees (many kinds) are thugs; they take what water and nutrients they need and create acid conditions that prevent other plants from getting what's left.