why are pennsylvania conifers dying

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by 1Balsamfir, Oct 30, 2010.

1. 1Balsamfir

1Balsamfir Member

Hello all,

Can anyone shed light on why the pine trees in south central Pennsylvania have been
    dying. I can only speak for this area as this is my home. I first noticed early in 2009
    that well established (10-20 years old or more) conifers were waisting away.
    There was no obvious external sign of infestation or disease but most of the trees succomed to whatever was ailing them within a year.
    The only obvious external sign of distress on these trees is the needles turn brown.
    There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the die-back. It can occur all over the trees and in different places. At first I thought only long needled pines were being
    effected, but now the spruces in my mother's yard (which have to be more than 30 years old) and the douglas firs in my own back yard (which are less than 10 years old)
    are exhibiting the same signs. My mother lives in the next county, about 30 miles away.
    I know that areas south of were we live have been battling borer beetles for years,
    but I don't know if there is a connection or not. I'm sure that our recent drought has not helped the situation, but I know there is something else afoot here.
    If there is anything systemically that can be done to save these trees
    I would be greatful for your insight.

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years