Why am I a Foreign Host When I'm in Maryland, USA?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Weedbender, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Weedbender

Weedbender Active Member 10 Years

When i try to post an Image, I'm told , Foreign hosts are not allowed to post ?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

what is the extension of your ISP? Daniel should be able to rectify the problem once he knows of it.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. Weedbender

I'm at the correct URL so I'll try another image here. My isp is MSN. Nope, I got the same message.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Try clicking on this URL and then posting the image...

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8494

If that doesn't work, then I'm a bit puzzled. It could be a cookie issue, which would depend on the level of trust you've granted the site, see this thread

You're receiving the error message because the software thinks you are posting from another URL, and it prevents that as a security measure (that's the "foreign" part of the error message - has nothing to do with country of origin).

6. Weedbender

OK Here goes

Attached Files:

7. Weedbender

That worked. What made the difference?

8. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

The URL. I'm in Maryland and don't have a problem, but I havent tried the other URLs. If you go to the link that daniel sent, it explains the security feature as to why this hapens. just usee the http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/ link and you shouldn't have problems.

9. Weedbender

Thanks to all. It seems to be working now. I'm not exactly sure why, but it is. Thank you cazimere

10. Weedbender

Testing, Nope it's back to the same problem and the same (foreign host) message when i try to upload an image?

11. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are you using this url:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/

The problem occurred before because you had found a copy of the site through a search engine. Try using the url above. If it works, bookmark it.

12. Weedbender

Eric, Just tried it your way. Got the same results???

13. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Don't know your settings but the bad url is cashed or in favorites. If in favorites, remove, or change it to http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/ or if cashed, then you need to clean up your browser (tools=>internet options then clear history ... and while you are at it clear cookies and internet files). There is no harm in doing both but you may have to renter some of your saved passwords.

A word to the wise, some sites save password info as a cookie stored on the local computer (you) ... then while browsing you may hit a dark sites that have cookie snatchers that snatch these cookies and the passwords through a bit of trickery. I doubt if they're interest in this site, but they may be interested in your other sites. I'm not giving out hacks here -- the hackers already know ... so be safe, be happy!

14. Daniel Mosquin

Scroll down this Wikipedia page to learn more about cookie theft and poisoning.

As far as cross-site scripting (XSS) goes re: cookie theft, I've been very pleased with the maker of this forum software, vBulletin, in updating and patching when XSS vulnerabilities are discovered - they are quick to update and quick to inform. One of the reasons I originally chose vBulletin was for their excellent reputation re: user privacy and security.

15. Daniel Mosquin