wholesale seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by koiboy, Oct 28, 2009.

1. koiboy

koiboy Member

Hi, I'm new to all of this, but I am interested in purchasing maybe 100 acer palmatum seedlings to grow as rootstock and I'm looking for a good wholesale place. I've done a little looking and I'd like to pay less than a $1.00 per tree (might have to be bare root). Can anybody recommend a place to look so I can get started growing and grafting? Thanks!

2. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

koi

heritageseedlings.com can supply.
    I emailed recently and as long as you order 100 of a species at a given size your order meets their wholesale requirements. I recently rcvd their fall 09 availability and they had acer palmatum 1/8 inch caliper for as low as $.65. These are plugs, not bareroot.

Good luck,

keith

3. koiboy

koiboy Member

Thanks so much for the help. I feel foolish asking this, but I haven't been able to learn what the difference is between a plug and bare root. Would you mind?

4. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Plugs are (usually) greenhouse grown in a container. See link below for example. Seedlings are shipped out and sent with the soil that was in the plug.

http://www.stuewe.com/products/beaver.html

Bare root seedlings are field grown, dug and soil removed before shipping.

Sometimes a plug is put into a transplant bed then dug after a couple of years.

The link below shows a plug that was put into transplant bed for 2 years then dug and bare rooted (terminology is Plug + 2 or P + 2). If you look at the picture you can see the plug and then the field grown roots.

http://www.mitrees.com/treescart/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=320

Heritage seedlings has photos of plug size somewhere in middle of the catalog (PDF) that you can download.

I have had good luck with both bare roots and plugs

Hope this helps
    keith