Who is Victor Reiter of Cultivar Names ?

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by Eric La Fountaine, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Hello U.B.C,

Can some one please help, I have come across so many plants in different cultivars with the name VICTOR REITER, he must be someone important and knowing his name does not mean any thing with out knowing why his name is used so much.

Does any one know, how about a web site telling all us gardeners what some of these people have done for us.

Any help would be appreciated

Yours sincerely

Patrica

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

All I could find on the web was that he was that he was a noted San Fransisco plantman. Perhaps someone from the city by the bay can tell us more.

There must be some good books on the botanists whose names were given to plants. Anyone have suggestions?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, a San Francisco gardener. Tidbits: Supposedly used to host a party each year when his Campbell magnolia bloomed. Site is home of type specimen of 'Marina' strawberry tree. Slides of garden I saw shown in hort. class in '70s included the wild combination of purpleleaf plum with orange orchids flowering among its branches.