White spruce

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Allison123, Jun 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Allison123

Allison123 New Member

I received a white spruce as a gift last year and it has been in a pot and indoors since I received it. Recently I have noticed that some of the needles have turned brown at the base and that some random needles are browning from the tips inward. It sits in front of a window that gets 5 hours of afternoon sun 1pm- 6pm. I believe the tree is only a year old. I was wondering if this browning is natural as the tree grows or is something more serious going on.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Two years old (2016 & 2017 seasons growth visible). The lower browning is not healthy; not too surprising as it is not a species adapted to growing in pots indoors. Plant it outside as soon as possible; give it moderate shade for the first few days until it adapts to outdoor sunlight.

3. Allison123

Allison123 New Member

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it :)
    But is there a way I can keep it alive in a container? I don't have a place to plant it and I might be moving soon and don't want to leave it behind.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you at least keep it on a balcony? Think you'll eventually get to the point where the roots will be impacted by the pot, though...