White rootlets around Spanish Bluebells

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by akimbo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

I have an infestation of Spanish bluebell on my property. I'm embarrassed to say that I even brought a few more over from my old house because I thought it was so lovely. I started digging it up last summer when I realized how invasive it had become. Some folks on this site have commented that the bulbs are not that deep, but I'm finding them 8 inches down and under rocks. I can confirm that the largest bulbs are the deepest, and thus the most difficult to find. I'm also finding it in some of my new beds, I presume from soil contamination. My question is: are the white rootlets left in the soil after pulling out the bulb going to develop into viable plants? I used to focus on getting out the bulbs but now I've started trying to pick out all the white rootlets too, and I've stopped shaking off the soil after pulling up the bulb but I'm hoping I don't have to impound all the surrounding soil. I'm sure you can appreciate this is no easy task.
    To anyone out there who still thinks this is a lovely plant, please think again. I've seen it invading parks in my area where it is intermingled with native Camas. Very hard to get rid of as it likes to hide within the roots of other plants. Not sure why it is not listed on E-Flora BC and elsewhere as an invasive plant. In Britain they have a terrible problem with it where it is increasingly competing with their native bluebell. Here is a news item about that: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7381245.stm Your ideas are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Been pulling them out for years and never managed to make a dent in the numbers of them. So I can offer commiserations, but not solutions.

And yes, I'd think E-Flora BC would be well advised to list them.

3. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Oh I am so sad to hear that. And I thought Houttuynia cordata was bad. I still have soil in quarantine from that sad experience. And you can buy it at my local nursery. :(

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Sorry to hear about your bluebells. I am not clear as to the exact species/hybrid in my garden, but they will take over if I let them. I don't think the white rootlets as you describe them, will propagate. I DO have opinions on the darn things:

My pet dislikes are the really small (grain of rice size) bulblets & small black seeds that cannot be removed from the soil when I take out the larger bulbs.

Remove the flower stems before the seed pods mature!

Don't put seeds/flower stems or bulbs in a cold compost heap. They will survive at least 1 year deep inside the pile & grow when the compost is spread.

A really sharp hoe is the best way to deal with them, in my experience. Just cut through the leaves every time you notice them growing back. I have exhausted them in one season this way - mind you I hoed them about 6-7 times.

now...how do I get rid of the shepherd's purse that has absolutely taken over my perennial beds?

5. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts Lysichiton. I wondered if cutting off the leaves would do harm to the bulbs. No doubt there are seeds remaining in the ground to last a lifetime. At least you can eat your shepherd's purse. Saw a recipe for rice cake with shepherd's purse and pork. Looks delicious.

I now have 6 seven gallon pots full of bulbs. I'm wondering if I should crush all the bulbs lest they find a way to continue propogating in the land fill.

6. GeneBoyy

GeneBoyy Member

would make the landfill smell nice!

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

To combat an infestation, dig up the bulbs and drown, mash, microwave or dry them thoroughly before composting them. It may take searing summer heat or attic dryness to render the bulbs a fatal blow. Maybe it is more practical to try drowning them: put them into a tub of water for a few months. The leaves and flowers can be composted with no fear of their resurrection

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-bluebell.html

8. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Thanks Ron B. Good reference. Still, I wouldn't dream of composting any part of this plant--crushed, cooked or otherwise. I believe the reason it has spread so wildly throughout my property is because of my compost, even though I've not knowingly put any bulbs into it--probably via seeds. Do you agree that the white rootlets issuing from the bulbs can form new plants? I've stopped shaking soil off the bulbs but there are still many of these rootlets left behind. It is a lot of work getting them out of the soil.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The white strings coming out of the bottoms of the bulbs are just roots, they do not make new bulbs. You would see the same thing were you to dig up tulips or daffodils.