Identification: White mushrooms for id

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Sundrop, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Could it be Agaricus sp? The gills are white, so probably not? Growing in semi-circle in grass under a Pine tree.
    The spore test failed, probably because the mushroom was over-soaked with water. In this usually very dry area we have so far received 35 cm of rain since the beginning of October, 43 cm since the middle of September (comp. with 4 mm of rain in October 2013). Rather alarming!

white_mushroom3.jpg white_mushroom1.jpg white_mushroom2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Sundrop, I put the characteristics that I could see in your photos into the Matchmaker program; and it came up with Leucoagaricus leucothites at a confidence of 100%. I found this somewhat surprising since that is a mushroom that I usually recognize easily, and it doesn't come to mind when I look at your photos. Perhaps that is because your specimens are pretty old, and I'm used to seeing younger ones. I wouldn't trust that ID without first confirming a white to slightly pinkish spore print.

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. The pictures of Leucoagaricus leucothites on the Net are of mine mushrooms indeed!
    The only small difference is the stipe, a little thicker and shorter in my mushroom, but it could be because of age and too much moisture. To be absolutely sure I will try again to do the spore print next year, by now my mushrooms disintegrated entirely.
    Do you eat them?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I can recall trying them years ago, but I didn't think that they tasted good enough compared to other mushrooms that I pick regularly. So I haven't eaten them lately.