Identification: White fungus on tree trunk

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Wong, Nov 15, 2018.

1. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Saw this fungus on tree trunk on Mayne Island.
    Not jelly, but not hard.
    At first, I thought it may be a brain jelly, but there seems to have some structures to it.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

I was totally wrong on my initial ID. Now I know it is Phlebia tremellosa. Thank you.
    From my encounters with mushroom ID, I learned that many species can look similar to one another.
    I did not have the confidence to make the call.
    Thanks again.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Mycology teaches us all humility ... and keeps teaching it for as long as we study fungi :-)
    I am very happy to hear from folks that are interested in Phlebia and other wee wacky things of that sort that most folks never ever notice.

5. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

It is hard not to notice these wee wacky things. The problem is we don't know what they are, and do not have much resource to find out. Guide books and internet search have very few pictures for the novice to even ID the genus, let alone the species. And of course there are many inaccuracies in what we find online. This is why this forum is so helpful. And thank you for the many hours spent on helping people like me.

Frog likes this.