Identification: White Fungi ID

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Acerholic, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This morning out hunting for more fungi and lichen, we came across this one. It is perched on top of a sawn unknown tree stump. It is about 1ft in diameter. Not seen one like this before, so any ideas of the ID would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Most of the time mushroom ID requires information about the underside, the fertile surface. In this case I am betting on small pores, but if you can take a shot of underside (or report on whether pores, gills, etc) that will help. Is the stump more likely to be conifer or hardwood? Does it have a pleasant perfumy odour? Does it stain when you bruise it? Is it brittle and breaks easily or a bit resilient/firm?

3. Acerholic

Thanks J. More investigation needed, I will have a look again if last nights heavy storm has not destroyed it.

4. Acerholic

@Frog, I took more photos this morning from underneath. It was on a conifer stump, has no odur and is very tough to break, even a little.
    Hope these help the ID, I got covered in mud laying on the ground to take these btw. LOL.

Attached Files:

5. Frog

Well as they say, you know you had a fun day when you come home muddy :-). As far as I can tell it is a polypore. Given it was tough to break that eliminates old Laetiporus, which can look like this at this size, but are friable at the white stage. Best guess is one of the more robust cheese polypores, possibly Postia sp. Although it is in pretty rough condition, given the toughness it likely forms part of the lifecycle of some invertebrates, ie food, shelter, mating, reproduction. A happenin' condo :-)

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

And boy was I muddy, so yes I did have a great time fungi hunting. Just looked at the Postia sp photos and there are similarities, although as you say the one I found was in bad condition so it is difficult to positively ID.
    I can see why you say it is a shelter for invertebrates etc, definatly a cosy motel for any that happen across it.
    Do hope I'm not bombarding you too much with all these questions J. It's just that we find all of this fascinating. Such a contrast to Japanese maples!!!
    So postia sp. it is. Thankyou once again.

Frog likes this.
  7. Frog

All good, you are not bombarding me :-)
    I am a bit hampered because I focus on species in the PNW and West side of NA in general, and am much less familiar with the species in your region. So, just so you know, very often I can't provide a positive ID, in part because I don't know the range of similar species options in your area.

8. Acerholic

@Frog thankyou J, I hope I can show with photos the diversity in fungi and lichen in my part of the world. It will all add to the UBC forum data base.
    Edit.... Now agree that this is Postia sp.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was roundly scolded for changing thread titles that many years back. Better to not use the name in the thread title; it will still work for a subsequent search if you put the name you think it is in the text. In the subject, put a descriptive description.

10. Acerholic

@wcutler understood Wendy. Will alter it immediately.

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The point I was trying to make was: don't change titles. Live with whatever you started with, so choose ones that won't need to change.