Identification: White Bubble Like Growth With Yellow Liquid - What Is This?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by MikeAlt91, Jun 21, 2009.

1. MikeAlt91

MikeAlt91 Member

I recently discovered this growing on one of the trees in our back yard... i think its a type of maple tree but im not sure... regardless, i think this is some kind of fungus as there can be seen white material in between the bark and these large bubble like growths... at the base of the tree are tons of small light brown cap like mushrooms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not sure the pictures showed up im new at this stuff so i dont know how to post pics

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

The small mushrooms at the base I'm sure are a type of Corpinus fungi...they'll deteriorate very quickly and are good for helping break down the chips.
    The white 'bubbles' I can't see very clearly but from you're description are possibly a type of Resinous Polypore?
    If you can upload a clearer image it might help. My comp and I dont' get along well with large images :o)
    Underneath this box is an area with a gray box that says 'Manage Attachments'..if you have those photos on you're computer it's very easy to add that way or from an ULR.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are the bubble-like white growths firm to the touch?

-frog

4. MikeAlt91

MikeAlt91 Member

well im pretty sure they are firm but spongy kind of based off of a few i pried from the tree earlier with a garden shovel lol, but the bigger ones are kind of slimy on the outside and they have that slimy liquid... dont think that helps much though

5. MikeAlt91

MikeAlt91 Member

ok so i went and checked... the big ones are really soft and mushy on the outside but more firm in the inside

6. MikeAlt91

MikeAlt91 Member

Here are three more picture attached

Attached Files: