Which orchid is this?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Margot, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Orchids like this one bloom in the dry, wild parts of my garden (Nanoose Bay, BC) at this time every year but I've never determined their proper name. It looks a lot like photos I've seen of Piperia transversa but I really can't tell for sure. The leaves are gone by the time it blooms and there is no scent I can smell.

Can you please help identify it for me?

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I think, that you already identified it correctly.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, it's either that or Piperia elongata. I notice in the Illustrated Flora of BC, Piperia elongata is illustrated with withered leaves at bloom time. The lack of fragrance also pushes it into the Piperia elongata territory.

See PDF page 36 (document page 28): https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/docs/Mr/Mr106.pdf

4. Margot

Thank you for pointing out the similarities between the 2 orchids. I had a good look at Illustrated Flora of BC and then at E-Flora BC. E-Flora doesn't show many Piperia elongata growing on Vancouver Island but lots of locations for P. transversa. Also, the fact that P. elongata is much taller suggests to me that P. transversa is the more likely of the two. I'd better go out this evening and find out if it has a distinguishing clove-like scent.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2019
  6. Margot

What great photos! I wish my camera could capture close-ups like that!

I just went out for a sniff of my Piperia and it does have a definite clove-like scent that is said to be a distinguishing characteristic of Piperia transversa. I had to get right down to notice it but it was unmistakable.

So now I know. Thanks for your help, Sulev and Daniel.