Which nitrogen do JMs prefer?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by spookiejenkins, Sep 20, 2007.

1. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

I am by no means looking to apply it now, but I would love to know what my fellow maple growers use for a nitrogen source when fertilizing.

I know that when it comes to JMs, not all sources are equal. A certain favorite book says, "Acer palmatum seems to resent the ammonium sources of nitrogen. Calcium nitrate works best, with other non-ammonium sources also working well."

Keeping in mind that I prefer 'organic' fertilization options, I humbly beg for edification: what are the ammomium sources of nitrogen to avoid and what is/are the common form(s) of calcium nitrate? What are other non-ammonium sources?

Thank you very much. I look forward to a wrinklier brain!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. spookiejenkins

Wow! Calcium nitrate - a pyrotechnic and a fertilizer!

Thanks for the link.

I usually don't use synthetic fertilizers, sticking to my hippie type organic treatments, but calcium nitrate does not seem to be a big offender like ammonium nitrate.

Does anyone use cal nitrate on maples with success? If so, may I ask the name of the product?

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  4. nelran

nelran Active Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  5. spookiejenkins

Hi again Nelson! I think I am just following you around, posting as I go! :)

ProTekt is a very good thing. It is a silicone supplement that helps JMs in their battle against leaf scorch/tip burn. I swore by it in Texas and it is still handy here in VA. If you are a maple collector, buy stock. :)

Talk to ya, Buddy.

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hello Katie,

Welcome to this forum which certainly will benefit from such a motivated and energetic participation, keep up with it ;o)).

Personally I think plants are like humans: doctors say (at least over here in Europe) that if you have a healthy diet (i.e.: you are not missing any micro/macro nutrients), watch your weight and do some exercise then you do not need supplements. Well with maples is the same, if they are in a medium which provides all the nutrients they need, adequate watering and good exposure then no need to fertilize, that's what I do. Only when one falls sick sometimes some outside help may help the recovery; for maples it's the same, I give them some liquid fertilizer when sick with verticillium or pseudomonas (but not when stressed from sun, drought, transplantation....!!).

Now with respect to your question, I understand that Japanese maples grow naturally in acidic soils and therefore are likely to take up nitrogen from ammonium ions (NH4+), which is the form predominant in those, fungi dominated, soils. Now, if you ask whether they prefer ammonium to nitrate (NO3-), well this is a question to ask them directly ;o)).

Gomero

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero, what liquid brand do you use in those rare cases?

And I echo your welcome of Katie!

cheers,

-E

8. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Emery,
    I have used several types (Or Brun, MiracleGro,..) and can't say I noticed a a difference. The sick maple seems to appreciate it and strong growth is encouraged from the remaining healthy branches which, the next season, will hasten shape recovery.This works mainly with established trees. Young grafts which develop Verticillium are basically hopeless (at least in my experience).

Gomero